Disasters in 2018 – Our analysis Posted February 28, 2019 by Adrian Nance


We look for the UN to issue its data on disasters in 2018. Now they have! We are so grateful for their work. But we find them sobering reading.

Disasters hit 68 million people in 2018. And eleven thousand died world wide. Sadly Asia was the worst affected this time. The UN owns this data. Thanks!

Be ready – look at disasters in 2018!

Nobody like disaster statistics. But they help Wings be ready for the next one. It’s what we do!

Natural disasters in 2018
The latest disaster analysis by the UN – world wide (c) CRED Louvain

In 2018, earthquakes were the deadliest type of disaster. They caused 47% of the deaths world-wide. Floods were next at 24%. So 71% of the fatalities in disasters were caused by disasters that restrict access. We are so glad that the death toll was well below the average for the last 10 years.

And in 2018, it was floods that affected the highest numbers of people. They caused 50% of the world total affected. Also storms affected 28% of the world total. So, over 78% of the people affected in 2018 were hit by disasters that upset road traffic. Storms are really difficult too. Have a look at our thoughts on the different types of disaster.

It is these numbers that remind us how useful helicopters are in disasters. It’s not just in 2018, these numbers are often repeated year on year.

You can help us do it even more! Why not donate now?

So what do we learn?

More people have been affected by floods than any other disaster type in the 21st century. Helicopters are really useful in floods. People are isolated and so much more.

Wildfires were a bigger problem in 2018 than ever before. They also disrupt transport routes. Another reason for helicopters.

Therefore, we are sure that getting helicopters faster to disaster is still a life saving investment. So Wings keeps at it!

And we keep going in Africa. There were 36 natural disasters in Africa in 2018. And 4,500 deaths and 9.2 million affected. There is work to do there!

And you can help us! Really help!

You may not be ready to give yet. But you can research our history and see what we have done. Then maybe?

Or you can contact us! We can help you decide. You are the one who could make a life saving difference to our work!

Or you can donate now! We do great work.